Friday, March 8, 2013

SG#3- Pursuing excellence

          I want to talk about two people who have influenced my life in a positive way. The man in front wearing teal is Ben Henderson, a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter, in back is John Crouch, coach and instructor. I'm forming a triangle with my hands to pay tribute to the MMA LAB, a martial arts training center. Anyone who has seen Ben fight has seen him throw up the triangle. John is a blackbelt in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) a ground based martial art. BJJ involves grappling, chokes, joint locks, and various other submission holds. John earned his blackbelt from the the legendary Royce Gracie, the man most credited with starting the current MMA craze. Earning a blackbelt from Royce is a feat rarely accomplished. He promotes so very few to blackbelt. So that means John is legit. LEGIT. Ben fights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the most prestigious MMA organization in the world. He is the current lightweight champion, that means in his weight class he is the best in the world. Here is a link to a highlight reel of Ben.
     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46xg60MxISg

      John and Ben have been successful enough that last year they were able to become the new owners of the MMA LAB. I am fortunate enough to train BJJ there. I say fortunate because the people that train there are the best group of people I have ever associated with in my life. All kinds of people train there. Law enforcement, medical field, soldiers, firefighters, executives, business owners, students, professional fighters. Hard working and successful people. But when you walk through the doors of "the Lab" something special happens. It's like a family there, but maybe better, because we all choose to be there together. Helping each other improve. Pushing yourself to the limit. Some might call it a team, and in it's most basic definition that's how some people will define it. But that's kind of like referring to a Lamborghini as "a car".
      

Ben and John with some of his highest ranked students

         This incredible environment at the Lab starts at the top. That's John and Ben. Leading by example. Being kind. Having the knowledge to succeed. Having the work ethic. Putting it all together, day in, day out. Pursuing excellence.
         I consider myself a hard worker. But seeing the example set by these men makes me realize how much more a person can do. Why it's important to make the most of every day.  



Just another Monday at the Lab

       For many years one of my motto's has been "Be the best person you can be every day". But sometimes life is hard. Really hard. You face setbacks. Maybe you can get there on your own. But you will get there faster if you have people in your life who care about you. And you will enjoy the journey much more.
        Ben's next fight is April 20th in San Jose, California, he will be defending his UFC title. John will be there coaching. A few other members of the Lab will be there to help. The Lab has several fighters in the UFC, but this particular trip is for Ben. I will have to settle for watching on tv. I will be cheering loudly. 
                                                   




6 comments:

  1. Omg Omg I cannot believe you know Henderson! He is definitely my favorite MMA fighter. He has the best legs I have ever seen on a guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya he is quite a speciman, and the nicest guy you will ever meet!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love how you speak soo passionate about this. I enjoy reading people's experiences doing what bring joy to their heart! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Paul. Your writing is flowing very well, your voice is connected and your tone is passionate. Your 4 new entries are really good. You have presented some interesting topics, you develop those discussions well, you have engaging visual support, and you are clearly working to connect with your audience. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is some awesome stuff. I definitely keep up with UFC (particularly) and admire the level of skills the fighters have. I've always been interested in fighting, and have dabbed into boxing for 2 years. Unfortunately, I've suffered some pretty bad injuries from a motorcycle accident, and can't continue with hard training. But I would like to know if there is any solution to strengthen my right wrist, so i can regain my punch power without injury. Other than Wraps, which i use,I need a solution, even hitting my speed bag at home has me hurting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from having a wrist injury at work it can take years to fully recover. Due to the structure and trauma the wrist is involved in it is vulnerable to problems. Start slow in any rehab, make sure you've given the injury time to heal.Make sure you're hitting at the right angle. If there's scar tissue it may benefit from massage or ultrsound

      Delete